Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Tuesday March 13th

Today was a good day. I pretty much did the salad bar again. I enjoy fixing up the salad bar. It's so nice to make it all look very pretty. For dinner we were going to have something called zippy beef. It's basically where you cook beef and noodles together and add sour cream.... so yeah.... didn't sound too good.

So, I chopped cucumbers, carrots, and cauliflower. It was my turn today with the radio. So I turned on Jesus Culture in the Pandora app. Pandora is a service on the iPhone where you can make your own personalized radio. I enjoy listening to music while I prepare and cook. It does make the time seem to go by faster. (speaking of that read below for what we talked about during class session today) While I was in the kitchen, one of the ladies comes up and just hands me ten dollars. I asked her if she wanted me to give this to someone because I haven't loaned out any money. That was the only way I could think that I would receive money for. I don't really have the cash to do that. But instead she smiled and said it's treat money. Treat money is apparently what people use when they have to go out and eat lunch or something. She said usually people spend it at McDonalds or the corner store. But I always eat what they have and if I don't eat what they have then I'm usually not that hungry. I am so happy that God gave me treat money, but I'm not going to spend this money on treats. I'm going to see if I can buy a notebook that way I can properly take notes in class instead of taking them on my iPhone and having to transfer them later.

God does know our needs, even when we don't think we know exactly how we are going to have that need met.

Today's class is about a book called Community and Growth by Jean Vanier. This lady who runs a commune similar to Jesus People but it is for mentally handicapped people and their nurses. I am just starting classes here so they are actually in the middle of the book right now. I hope to catch up later. Today we read about the different soils that people fall on and soil that chokes the life out of them. Neil (the teacher) said that living in a commune you have to have one key ingredient when working and that is love. You will always meet people here that get under your skin or that have differences that you don't particularly  like but you have to show them love and forgiveness. We also talked about making sure that you take time for yourself. 

The funny part in class was when Neil said the way he takes time for himself is a cup of coffee while in the  shower. We all laughed. He said that two things he enjoys is a nice cup of coffee and a shower so why not combine them together and get the day off to a good start. 

Class time was until 3 like usual. Afterwards I went back to the kitchen and I got to cook the vegetarian dinner which was tomatoes, onions and noodles sauted together. 

Later on in the evening, we had something called the community gathering. This is where we worship God and also tell everyone about various projects within the community. They mentioned that the protest was a success. Everyone sang happy birthday to a lady and then we talked about Easter weekend and all the festivities going on. It is going to be a big party with movies, karaoke, games, coffee samplings, big dinners and of course the Good Friday service and Easter Service. They have several churches come and help out with that.

They also talked about in May they will have a dedication for the building across the street. They are going to  have three pastors come and I guess help dedicate it. I'm not sure why it takes three pastors. LOL. 

I was going to hang out with Sasha after the meeting but she didn't feel good

No comments:

Post a Comment