Friday, March 15, 2013

Five Minute Friday - Rest

http://bible.us/111/mat.11.28-30.niv

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.       Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.       For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Normally when I think about rest, I remember when the only day I got to rest was on Sunday. I worked at a call center for a mail order pharmacy. There were times in the busy season when I would work 10 hours a day sometimes five to six days a week. I was trying to get as much overtime as I could get. This didn't leave much time for God. I soon found out that my spiritual faith was weakening. I learned through a few mentors of mine, that it is necessary to take that rest, not only because we need to refresh and take time to rest in God, but also because God Himself also rested.

In God's perfect creation, before the fall of man, He himself took the seventh day to rest. God spoke through His Holy Spirit and told me that I need to rest in Him, even if that meant not being able to work overtime. I was going on and on without even stopping in my busy work day to take time for Him. We all need to remember to rest not just one day a week but rest in God every day of the week.

2 comments:

  1. Good reminder. Sometimes it is hard to stop and rest, especially when overtime is concerned!! I am learning this lesson as well, that every day I need to rest in Him, sometimes more than once a day! And we are especially trying to instill a Sabbath, where I put dinner in the crock and keep housework to a minimum. It is hard but a good practice I've noticed. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. amen and amen...
    rest in God every day of the week...there is a theme among many of us taking our busy-ness to our Lord!
    :)

    ReplyDelete