Saturday, March 9, 2013

This week

I decided instead of taking each day and making a post I would make it a big journal. All divided by the time of day.

So, in the morning I go and help out in the kitchen. Wednesday I helped make cornbread. Thursday I helped make Turkey Mancotti or some weird word like that. Friday helped make coleslaw. I enjoyed being able to help out in the kitchen. I work with a different cook every day and also there is another couple that just moved here and they are helping out as well.

Afternoon I have classes from 1 pm to 3 pm. Some of the classes I had was Ephesians, John, new testament, and also a magazine class. The magazine class is basically something we are putting together to hand out not only in this community (Jesus People) but also the community in general. It will have poetry and art and articles about different issues in the community. I might contribute some poetry but I don't know yet if I will be able to. I was barely able to unpack.

We had a class that I won't forget. This was one where we were asked a question. Can you stop sinning once you become a christian?  Many people had different answers. We read a story about a homosexual that was able to change. However even if you put a sin behind you the teacher made the point if you put sin out the door, it is waiting right outside the door for you. So you have to be careful not to let it in again.

Genesis 4:7 If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must rule over it.

We also had a class about the parables in John. The lost coin, the lost sheep and the lost son. Two things in common. First is that in each parable something was lost, second is that the person went to extremes to find the thing that was lost the woman who lost the coin, the shepherd who went looking for the sheep and the father who saw the son while he was coming down the road.

At night, the second night I was here I went to the cafe with a few friends that I met and had coffee and played games. Thursday I had ladies bible study. We studied the Armour of God in Ephesians. One lady made an interesting point that the armour does not include back pieces. She said she believes that that is because other believers have your back so you don't need back armour. That night I also went to Target and got a little caboodle to put my bathroom things in. It worked out perfectly.

I also realized I'm not used to the big city. You can walk down the street to a main store. That felt a little awkward at first. The snow was still on the ground and it was sooooo pretty.

Friday was a "slow" day. We were only cooking BBQ and coleslaw in kitchen. My roomate went to bed early and I wandered the halls looking for something to do. I finally found something down the hall, a group of girls were having craft night so I joined in. I didn't make anything though.





No comments:

Post a Comment