Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Bad Day for Me Today

Today was.....interesting. I was working the phones at the front desk. Since Jeannie is on vacation, I'm working her shift as well. So I work from 8 am to 5 pm. This morning I had a reporter call. No one was answering....he's demanding answers from someone he wants to speak with but that person isn't answering home phone, cell or work. Not much more I can do for him. So I have to deal with him all morning. I felt like he was a ping pong ball that just kept getting tossed back and forth. This afternoon, the reporter guy left me alone. But THIS TIME, a copier supplier calls a dozen times. He wants answers out of me that I can't give him. I ask him if it is a sales call, he says no but ma'am you're business needs to buy printing material. I told him like I was told to tell him that we do all of our printing in the house. He keeps on and on and on. I know from working in a call center that the employees get “incentives” for selling stuff. He would not let go of this one. Thankfully Dave, aka the funny man was standing there and he got on the line and mumbled up words and hung up on him. I was trying to be nice to him. I understand the job.

Then this homeless guy that I seee come by every day. He comes by and asks if we have any hotdogs. Usually after a Chicago Cubs game, we give out hotdogs and brautwursts to the people who come by our door. When the hotdogs are gone, we put up a sign that says NO HOTDOGS in big letters drawn on a paper in front of the window. So from the side window where you can talk to me before I buzz you in. Well, today the door was open. Usually this guy asks if there are any hotdogs (several times), then tries to get in. Usually he can't use I have to buzz him in. Today the door was open, because people were delivering can sodas to the vending machine. Well this guy comes in the front door, ugh, he comes up to me after I told him three times already that there are no hotdogs. I have explained to him (many times) that we only have hotdogs after Cubs home games. I said I'm sorry Sir I'm going to have to ask you to leave. He says some mumbled up words and then after a few more times of me saying that he walks out the door.
So, then at 5 when it's time for me to get off, I wait and I wait and I wait and I wait. My replacement is supposed to be here by now. Then I wait and wait and call the team clean coordinators who don't answer their phones. I think to myself maybe they are getting dinner. So I wait but then the line gets down so low that there is no line. So I think, hmmmm, then a hospital calls wanting information about one of our seniors. I told them I would get their case workers on the line for more information. So I call and call and call some more.....But I can't get ahold of anyone. So finally I get ahold of someone after four phone calls. I get the case worker connected to the hospital. I'm so frustrated that my replacement hasn't arrived. I start crying. I hope I don't get in trouble but the whole day was just a mess. I work eight hours here and now I have to sit here when I'm not supposed to be here. It's not fair.

Well Gary bless his heart, he is one of the guys that does phones from 10:30 till 8 when I come in. He's so willing to do things for other people. He sees me crying and says he will take over.

So now I'm in my room blowing off the steam for the day on my new netbook. I can finally use it now because the charger arrived.

Today was about the worst day I've had since I've been here so far, even when I worked in the kitchen. I've never felt this bad. Anyways, from one of the discipleship classes I had. The class on the book called Community and Growth, Jean Vanier says that some days you won't even like community. Today is one of those days for me. Today I'm thankful that my roommate went to work for a little bit.


Prayer request – please pray that I would not be discouraged working the front desk. I'm supposed to be encouraging and today I feel like I wasn't. Please pray for Sara, she has to have surgery on her broke foot friday. They are going to put a pin in her foot. Doesn't that sound familiar to someone? Haha  

No comments:

Post a Comment