Thursday, August 8, 2013

My Review of the One Year Devo for Teen Girls

I just finished reading a complimentary book sent to me by Tyndale House in return for an honest review. The name of the book is The One Year Devos for Teen Girls. I found that these short devotionals were very intriguing. The authors tackled subjects that I know from when I was a teen (not too many years ago), that do come up in middle school as well as high school. (Even college)


Issues such as Should I eat meat? Bullying, discipleship, social media, future marriage and what it means when you actually say "I do", even pirating music and sex trafficking. These issues do come up as a teen. But I would encourage the mom and teen daughter to read this book together because of some of the tough subjects.


Some of the passages are really short and some are really long. This is what the typical devotion in this book is like....


Title

Scripture verse


The main devotional (2-4 paragraphs long) This is sometimes written from the author's own experience, a close friend or family member of the author, or sometimes from the lives of "famous" Christians such as Pastor Francis Chan, C.S. Lewis, and J.R.R. Tolkien.


Action step (I've never seen this in a devotional before. Usually I'm used to reading devotionals that include a simple prayer i.e Father please help me be more compassionate today, but these passages include an action step. Which I think is really awesome. When I was a teen, I was more of a person who would say let me do something about the issue and not stand back and do nothing.)


A few days actually included a HUGE Action Step.


Also for those days where you or your teen are dealing with a particular issue, there is an index in the back that tells you where to turn.


The devotionals are sometimes long. While, the long days have great information. It might be a bit too much for some teens. I know from experience if a page was too long or too lengthy in words, I would lose interest.


Overall, this is the best teen devotional I have ever read. I really appreciate the author's sincerity to tackle the tough issues in a teenager's life.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Christina! Soooo pleased you caught the importance (and uniqueness) of the action steps. They are definitely meant to cost the reader something. And btw... if moms are reading the devotions with their daughters, we encourage moms to do the action steps as well!

    ReplyDelete